Tuesday 27 April 2010

selfish people

I had a bad day at work yesterday.

First of all, I have been bullied to come in at 8.30 for two weeks to help the phlebotomist draw blood from the patients as the patient volume in the mornings are kinda psycho (perk is I get to go back by 5.30!! woohooo!!! :P)!

So I began my day pretty calmly and happily..drew blood from this REALLY hot indian (married...dang) guy..who realized I was mixed blood....wooohooo... :D

Then at 9 I went back to the serology bench, when my assistant manager said, Pearl, could you please help the blood bank. And I said okie. So I went there, did the back-breaking job of typing close to 80 bloody samples (not to mention the donors, etc) and by 4pm I checked on serology (as I had to leave a rather new colleague of mine to hold the fort). By that time as well, the blood bankers (as we call them) were back from their stem cell harvest, plasmapheresis & ER call respectively. Thinking that they could handle the second round of re-typing those bloody 80-ish samples, I asked the blood bank senior if it were ok for me to return to my bench and help my struggling colleague (who looked really tired). And he did not wan to let me go. I was pissed off.

People would do whatever it takes to keep their own jobs well done at my place, and they do not give a shit about the rest pf the benches, assuming that they have enough people, etc. Its the same shit everyday. Everyday someone makes a snide remark over another's workload, thinking they are carrying the wwight of the world!

Why can't people put themselves in another's shoes? hw can one sleep at night thinking 'oh goodie, today i got my work done!! *oblivious to the stuggles of my teammates*

I am sick of the individualism of society! Everything is about me, I & me! When are we gonna realize that it is when you serve one another is when you find joy? See, the dynamics is simple really..

It is about not wanting to keep the cake and eat it too.

When you give in to someone, you know, stretch yourself a little to help a friend, that person would gladly do the same for you, and you in turn feel love.

I know it is bloody idealistic, but hey, it works, it happens.

The problem is when even within households, mothers are fathers are calculative about everything, even to who does the dishes tonight and who does it tomorrow.

When you say things like, my money is mine, and my husband's money is mine too, what kind of values are you imparting to your young? When you can't even respect your wife, do you think your sons will go be gentlemen in the outside world?

The family unit is deteriorating.

People are deteriorating.

I could just give up on people because everyone is mean, nasty, calculative, manipulative & greedy.

Natural law does not exist anymore.

Bleak is it not?


What does this one person do against the world?




Nothing, but hold her fort, and hope & pray that reinforcements exists..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Joy of giving is a forgotten trait. Humility is an endangered species. But the world's moving coz a lil' act of goodness by some balances a lot of negative ones.Btw, do you've Hot Indian Guys in your country??

Pebbles said...

Oh yesssssss....quite a few actually...nice bald ones...Lol..

Yea, like I do have this one colleague at work who is such a sweet-heart, and having her around to talk things out makes a whole lotta difference..:)

David A. Rollins said...

I've found that you can't change people, you can only be an example to them and hope that they learn. However, as I just typed that thought, it occured to me that by thinking we are an example, we are engaging in the same self centered behavior we are tryin to avoid. So maybe all we can do is try to be the best person we can be regardless of whether anyone notices or not. At least we can sleep well at night. The other alternative is to become a writer like me so you don't have to deal with people for long periods of time.
Regards,
David A. Rollins

Pebbles said...

You have an awesome alternative! :)

However, I agree with you, that the focus should be to be the best that we can be, and if we do turn out to be a role model to some other person, well, we should just thank God for that affirmation, and remain humble, knowing that as humans, we are very prone to failures.

:) thanks for dropping by.