Thursday 12 August 2010

sipping on lemonade

that's the current fad...lemonade...yummm...

Well...it was kinda tummy wrenching when I was sipping on lemonade and reading about the victims of the floods and landslides all over china, and pakistan...It was really sad..over here, i had a good day, slept the morning and afternooon away as I prepared for my night call at the hospital.

Yet, I could not stop thinking about the victims in China and Pakistan. What if that happened to me and my family in Malaysia..the general population would be sipping lemonade somewhere else reading about it in the papers.

The thing is we are not indifferent. but there is a limited means for us to help. I am barely making ends meet, in a country whose currency is becoming weaker, and where there is a real problem of disunity...Education is bad, there is no professionalism, and everything is just mediocre...We were once football champions in the region, and now Korea and Japan has gone the distance while we live in past glory, admiring the heroes of before. Our standards of English has dropped to the point local graduates are unemployable because of the command of the language. I am uncertain of the quality of my locally obtained degree, because I do not trust the system!

I feel like we are stuck, while everyone else is advancing. Hence the helplessness of not being to lend a helping hand to the victims of the disasters. I could lament my predicament, but the truth is, people are still suffering. Some child out there has lost a parent. Some mother has lost her family. Someone's grandfather is stranded with on the clothes on his back!

Right now, all I am able to do is look for means to aid them, and also pray for the victims....

No comments: