Thursday 25 June 2009

Sacred Music

Today I was introduced to Sacred music by Ben, an interesting character. :)


For fun, I shall show how I met this person and the gang..

This is how it works...

I knew Jon from Caritas days, where Melaka-Johor Diocese had started building relations with the Penang Diocese. Jon from Penang attended the PAG held in Melaka, and went on to bring the programme back to Penang. This was in 1999.

In 2003, Jon comes to Melaka to study in MMU Melaka, when yours truly helped a little here and there. Then Jon goes off to MMU Cyber, while I go to UKM. In UKM, I involve myself in CSS where I work with Fr Chris who suggests James and Caroline as facilitators for our annual camp. James and Caroline introduces us to alpha in 2006, and upon graduation, I am invited to attend Youth Alpha facilitators weekend, where I meet Damian.

In 2009, Damian invites me to attend the Charismatic Renewal Youth rally held in Klang, where I meet Madaan who works for Sound Tank Productions in SS15..a stone's throw away from SDMC. James invites me to help out in St Thomas More's Alpha, where I meet a bunch of people. Jon comes in contact again, and he gives my contact to Charlene who forwards it to Crisabel, who I happened to meet in STM's alpha through whom I meet Daniel who met Madaan in Sound Tank.. Geez...small world. Anyhoooooo.....

Ben, who I also meet through Crisabel is an advocate for Sacred music to be played in Church, meaning non-contemporary music in layman's term...dun get me wrong, it is not all as heavy as it sounds...just more "churchy".

The idea of following the guide according to the documents of the Catholic church is pretty interesting. The whole idea of the Liturgy of the Hours might sound solemn, but I must say it is truly music dat brings one to worship.

hence I am interested by the idea of learning up more on what the Catholic Church says about music allowed during Mass. More to learn and think about..coming up soon...

We shall commence our weekly Thursday meetings to discuss and brainstorm as well as discern further....

Anyone interested, drop me a line..will explain more...I have documents to swallow....:D
It would be a time for us to informally meet and learn more about this Sacred Music as it is apparently called, with Vespers and Lauds and the whole works in addition to the beautiful Liturgy of the Eucharist.





Coooool......:D

No comments: