Wednesday 12 May 2010

One day at a time

It has been very trying at work. Sometimes you really wonder at people, wonder how nasty people can turn on each other. I always think of the statement that humans are the only animals that turn on each other, but I think recently there has been documentaries on apes murdering as well...Vaguely remember it.

Still, animals of less intelligence seem more human sometimes. I love dogs, and they always melt my heart. Dogs are so simple, honest and sincere. Even my crazy Einstein Copernicus Thomas (yes, my pets have full names) tried warding off the cobra for me. But that shall be another story for another day. Doggie Douglas Thomas used to bark weirdly when we sent him over to the neighbours for puppy-sitting when we went back to JB for Chinese New Year. He'd bark as if he was trying to speak like a human and he'd look you in the eye at that! He was dignified and gentlemanly. Once a car ran over his paw, and there was no one home but my then future-bro-in-law, who came to Malaysia for a two week stay to get to know the family. Danko tried to just carry Doggie and put him in the car as Doggie couldn't manage it on his own, but Doggie barked and threatened to bite cause he did not like anyone carrying him. Danko looked Doggie in the eye, and told him, 'Look here, you're injured and I need to get you in the car to get it checked.' And when he tried carried Doggie again, Doggie allowed it.
It almost seemed like he had pride or being independent and in control. Yet he reasoned and allowed it.

Okie, you might think I'm bonkers to even think my dogs had such intelligence and character, but any dog-lover would agree to it. Sometimes I think I love dogs more than humans!


And this makes it tough to be a good Catholic. We are called to love our enemies because all humans are made in God's image. And we are called to love because He first loved. Once, I read twice in different books on the same day that it takes no character to love lovable people, but it takes a lot to love the unlovable, and that is what we are to do. It might seem counter-productive to the logical man and I guess it would be if we did not attain the endless supply of Love from God. On our own effort alone, it would be unproductive and counter-productive, but nourished and sustained, it would be a great witness to Christ. And I guess, that is why I am looking forward to Accession this year. For once, it means something to me. For once I am eager for Pentecost!




But a humbling thought prevails..that we are mere humans...and as humans we fail..and I can only pray that this time round the conversion is for real and for good.


I miss my puppies at home...:( I'll be home this Saturday Einstein II and Rusty.

p/s: Havent given them their full name...Hmmmm

No comments: